D.C. is under its first Cold Weather Emergency of the season, beginning at 7 p.m. on Tuesday night.
WASHINGTON — D.C. is under a Cold Weather Emergency (CWE) beginning at 7 p.m. on Tuesday night.
Mayor Muriel Bowser announced that the DC Department of Human Services, in collaboration with the District of Columbia Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency, activated a Cold Weather Emergency because according to the National Weather Service, Tuesday’s overnight temperature is expected to fall to 27 degrees with a wind-chill of 15 degrees.
CWE occurs when the National Weather Service forecasts weather that presents a danger to residents, especially those who are outdoors and/or experiencing homelessness. Alerts are triggered by temps and wind chill at 15 degrees or below or temps and wind chill at 20 degrees or below and expected snow.
Residents can receive weather alerts from the District by signing up for AlertDC at alert.dc.gov. To ensure they are taking the proper precautions ahead of the expected cold weather conditions.
Some cold weather safety precautions include:
- Stay inside if you can
- Cover up and limit exposed skin when you go outside
- Check on your neighbors and learn the signs of hypothermia
- For all animal emergencies including animals left outside in extreme temperatures call the Humane Rescue Alliance at 202-723-5730
To help those experiencing homelessness the following shelters are available:
Shelters for Women
- Adams Place Day Center at 2210 Adams Place NE
- Harriet Tubman Shelter at 1900 Massachusetts Avenue SE #27
- St. Josephine Bahkita at 6010 Georgia Avenue NW
- Patricia Handy Place for Women at 1009 11th Street NW
- Harbor Lights (Salvation Army) at 2100 New York Avenue NE
- Naylor Road at 2601 Naylor Road SE
Shelters for Men
- Church of Epiphany at 1317 G Street NW
- Salvation Army at 3335 Sherman Avenue NW
- 801 East Shelter at 2722 Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue SE
- Adams Place Shelter at 2210 Adams Place NE
- New York Avenue Shelter at 1355-57 New York Avenue NE
- KBEC at 4100 South Capitol Street SE
- Naylor Road 2603 Naylor Road SE
- Emery at 1725 Lincoln Road NE
Shelter for LGBTQ+
- Living Life Alternative-Family Life Center at 400 50th Street SE
Families seeking emergency shelter can call the Shelter Hotline at (202) 399-7093 or 311 at any time day or night.
All news and articles are copyrighted to the respective authors and/or News Broadcasters. eWeatherNews is an independent Online News Aggregator
Read more from original source here…